[syslinux] I/O error

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:31:06 PDT 2017

> 1_ Yes, but I'm using normal one, because Yocto doesn't support
> extlinux. Looks like they also modify kernel image in a way that is
> supported by their custom patches to syslinux, digging into it right now.

I could be wrong but I think that the special patches are actually
directly related to extlinux. Anyway, as you said, if you are using
official upstream code, the ones in YOCTO/OE should not matter (except
that all Syslinux-related files should come from the same build).

> 2_ The bootloader fails at the stage of loading the kernel, i.e. before
> transferring control to the kernel. I get:
>   boot:
>
> dropping me to syslinux CLI. Just found out that the actual error
> happens in floadfile after fread (com32/lib/syslinux/floadfile.c:96 in
> current master)

OK, so SYSLINUX itself is actually booting.

> 3_ It can be reproduced with syslinux.cfg as simple as
>
>   DEFAULT Syslinux Yocto Test
>   LABEL Syslinux Yocto Test
>       KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

Let's try a (hopefully) "better" syslinux.cfg:

#***syslinux.cfg***
# Labels should not include white-spaces.
# Even better when labels are limited to 8 characters or less.
# When testing a Linux kernel, better to use the LINUX directive.
DEFAULT syslinux_yocto_test
LABEL syslinux_yocto_test
LINUX /boot/vmlinuz

Let's try again and report back.