[syslinux] Linux distribution targeted at 32-bit hardware

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Tue Mar 21 15:46:33 PDT 2017

On 03/21/2017 02:04 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> I already posted, in a very recent email, possible Linux
> distributions that support 32-bit. The (non-exhaustive) alternatives,
> mostly ignored, included Antix, which specifically aims at old
> systems (and it is based on Debian).

Yes, I read your post.  There is a saying, "If you don't have anything
nice to say, then don't say anything at all".  Since you seem to expect
a reply, it follows.

Debian is pulling the plug on 32-bit Linux.  So, distributions based on
Debian are out:

1.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix

KNOPPIX (/knɒpɪks/ KNOP-iks)[2] is an operating system based on Debian

2.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

Puppy 6 is built from Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr packages,

3.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29

Ubuntu (/ʊˈbuːntʊ/ uu-BOON-tuu, stylized as ubuntu)[11] is a
Debian-based Linux operating system

4.  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install

SuSE tries to hide everything behind GUI's (much like Windows).  I
prefer the UNIX way -- plain text files.

I tried (and failed with) Slackware once.  It left me with the
impression that Slackware is learner adverse.

> Regarding Debian's installer not being able to continue at a certain
>  point of the process, it is probably not finding the packages. D-I
> needs to know where that (list of) packages are. The content of the
> original ISO image needs to be "somewhere" (hint: the USB device if
> formatted as FAT32, thus it can be written). There might be some
> option / parameter to "APPEND" to the kernel line, or there might be
> some other method in order to indicate to Debian's installer: "hey,
> the packages are at this/that (additional) location".
>
> The above topics are off-topic in the Syslinux Mailing List, and yet,
>  kind replies were provided. Such topics might have a place in some
> Debian mailing list or somewhere else.

I am the blind man who is being led through a zoo of creatures far
larger than elephants.

The Debian exhibit sent me here.

This exhibit is sending me back to Debian.

I'm starting to see where this is going...

David