[syslinux] Linux distribution targeted at 32-bit hardware

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 21 17:14:30 PDT 2017

> On 03/19/2017 01:12 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > Regarding distros for older computers, there are several. The
> > problem, at least at this point, is bootability. Although Antix is
> > for older computers, it is also based on Debian and the latest
> > ISOLINUX will also be bigger than 32KiB. Perhaps Knoppix or some (of
> > the many) PuppyLinux would still use ISOLINUX 4.xx or older. SUSE
> > derivatives also use v. 4.xx. Slackware derivatives too. DSL used to
> > provide a floppy-emulation ISO image, but it is no longer maintained
> > and not suitable for USB either.
>

> On 03/21/2017 02:04 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > I already posted, in a very recent email, possible Linux
> > distributions that support 32-bit. The (non-exhaustive) alternatives,
> > mostly ignored, included Antix, which specifically aims at old
> > systems (and it is based on Debian).
>
> Yes, I read your post.  There is a saying, "If you don't have anything
> nice to say, then don't say anything at all".  Since you seem to expect
> a reply, it follows.

@All,

Originally, I wasn't expecting a reply on this matter. It was a nice
thing I added for David to give him a starting point. It was clearly
ignored, and that's fine; I am not offended or anything of that sort.
But then we have been receiving repeated requests and replies regarding
a Linux distribution for 32-bit, so I thought I should mention that the
partial list that I posted was mostly ignored, which is now being
replied with some off-topic paragraphs, again.

If the list I posted, or Debian or whatever else, doesn't match the
needs of a user, the user should then keep searching. Or not. But this
is not the place for such things.

This is the Syslinux Mailing List. IMO, we have been replying to almost
anything during the last few days, even when most of it was off-topic.

Those that are subscribed to this ML certainly know that several dozens
of emails in only one thread is much more than what is usually needed
to close a certain discussion/topic here, by far.

At this point there is more noise than useful on-topic information.

@David,

Since you have received kind replies here, I would like for you to
consider keep helping in the debugging or in the development of
"something" that would help others in similar situations as yours, by
means of testing and providing feedback, considering that the behavior
is specific to certain hardware/firmware.

@All,

So, back on topic...

Quoting Thomas:
"That means the LBA 8444 has to be converted to a Cylinder/Head/Sector
address. It would be interesting to learn by which heads/cylinder and
sectors/head factors."

That is the goal of the "diag/*.img" images, as I indicated already in
prior emails.

If I may... One way to narrow down the issue would be for David to test
an ISOhybrid image that is using ISOLINUX 4.xx or even 3.xx.

One such image is Slitaz _rolling_, less than 50MB:
 http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/#rolling

Although Slitaz uses a customized Syslinux code/package, the important
point is that isolinux.bin is based on version 4.xx and it is smaller
than 32KiB.

The only reason to test this image (dd'ing it as-is to USB and booting
the problematic old computers) is to check whether the (same) error
message is repeated, or instead it boots at least up to Syslinux.
Nothing else matters for this test; we don't care whether the kernel
boots, nor what happens next.

There are other modern ISOhybrid images that can be tested for this
same purpose, but they are much bigger than 50MB.

Now, if David would be so kind to test and provide feedback with the
"diag/*.img" (no need for any ISO for that, just to dd the USB and
boot), and with the Slitaz rolling ISO too, that would be appreciated.
No need for scripts or for building anything.

Other than that, questions about installing a distribution or which
distribution to choose, are not at all the topic of the Syslinux
Mailing List. And yet, again, replies were kindly posted. Please, let's
focus on the topic of this Syslinux Mailing List.

Regards,
Ady.