[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Mar 23 01:58:08 PDT 2017

Hi,

Geert Stappers wrote:
> Contact David off-list, he did unsubscribe.

Can you tell when he unsubscribed (i.e. which of the messages he got
as last one) ?

> Martin posted elsewhere in this thread "Thomas, you found the bug"
> and provided a patch.

Open question is whether the fix helps with David's BIOS.
The newest answer from Martin indicates that a failure to read should
have caused a different error message than reported by David.
But successfully reading a wrong block address should not have yielded
all zeros.

@Martin:
Can you provide a binary MBR with the bug fix and diagnostic prints ?
If we cannot get testing from David then i would be interested to keep
such an MBR for the next occasion.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas