[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Martin Str|mberg ams at ludd.ltu.se
Fri Mar 24 13:01:03 PDT 2017

CC:ing syslinux

David Christensen reports that my latest isohdpfd.bin reported
C, thus it failed early (carry set) in finding an EBIOS.

My interpretation is that it must corrupt CX so isolinux is fooled into
trying EBIOS first.

So, again David, can you please try this one:
<http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~ams/tmp/isodavid.tgz>

To keep your (our?) spirits up I've named it of you.

It won't boot anything, but it will:

 * Hacked special David version. Won't boot anything.
 *
 * Will print the result of INT 0x13, AH=0x41:
 *
 * <CARRY>
 * AX
 * BX
 * CX
 * DX
 * I die now.
 *
 * where <CARRY> is either "No carry." or "Carry." depending of the
 * setting of the carry flag after the call.

I predict it will print:
Carry.
<something>
<something>
<0 != something>
<something>
I die now.

If it doesn't I don't know and ideas what you (Thomas mainly I
suppose) want me to code/try for you/us are accepted. (Starting to
flap my arms uselessly.)

Meanwhile Thomas found that isolinux expects the number of heads and
sectors parameters in the way that the offsets was (in isohdpfx.bin),
not the pushes, so I've made another more correct corrected
isohdpfx.bin here:

<http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~ams/tmp/isohdpfx.bin.170324>

Please try that one too. It should work if my prediction above is
right.

Thanks.

--
MartinS