[syslinux] where to swap

Martin Str|mberg ams at ludd.ltu.se
Sun Mar 26 03:21:34 PDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 09:50:17AM +0000, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:

> > Ady wrote:
> > > Would you please clarify what do you mean with "it"?
> >
> > "It" was the code part about
> >
> >      xor     %cx, %cx        /* Clear EBIOS flag. */
> >
> > which Martin mentioned as "can be ignored" in the the text which i
> > quoted before my statement.
> _ clarification from Martin (since I asked a similar question regarding
> his own email/wording); and

Yes, it's the xor %cx, %cx we're talking about. Which might seem
overkill now that we know that David's BIOS _didn't_ corrupt CX.
And given that space in isohdpfx is very limited (432 bytes) perhaps
the right thing might be to not have that xor in there.

But then better safe than sorry, and given that there is space _now_,
why not?

> _ after reverting the (wrong) commit 48e94f4fa7b3c3..., whether the 2
> sections of Martin's patch should rather be applied as one commit, or 2
> separate commits, or just the first part of the patch should be
> applied.

The patch in <http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2017-March/025706.html>
should be applied after reverting
48e94f4fa7b3c32cbd43b6e57c64bc933f76d059.

Except possibly the xor %cx, %cx part as above depending on how
causcious or spacesaving you want to be.

It seems both Thomas and I think it should remain.

--
MartinS