[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Mar 26 07:45:31 PDT 2017

Hi,

Gene Cumm wrote:
> it seems the stack format got
> set, changed, then mostly reverted back, with this code being the last
> piece missing from 2009.

The commit to isohdpfx.S of 2009-05-31 looks incomplete.
The sequence of the stack pointers was swapped, but the sequence of
stack pushes was not.
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/mbr/isohdpfx.S?id=2f92affcce5ffef4da90fe44bcac5a4db45df25f

> Finding a system that
> doesn't seem to properly support LBA/EBIOS reads is increasingly
> difficult due to age.

It is now easier to force C/H/S for both MBR and isolinux.bin because
of the "Clear EBIOS flag" code piece.
A isohdpfc with "jmp" instead of "jc" after INT 13 AH 41, derived from
the new code would instruct isolinux.bin to use C/H/S addressing, too.

I just tested this replacement by locating the "jc" instruction by its
neighbor "cmpw $0xaa55, %bx" at byte 88 and changing it to "jmp":

  echo -n $'\xeb' | dd conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=88 count=1 of="$iso"

It still boots in qemu to the first graphical Debian menu.
The "ISOLINUX 6.03 ..." messages vanishes too fast for my eyes.

So i damage the ISO to prevent booting the Debian payload.
For that purpose i obtain the 2048-block address of isolinux.cfg

  xorriso -indev "$iso" -find /isolinux/isolinux.cfg -exec report_lba --

This reports:

  Report layout: xt , Startlba ,   Blocks , Filesize , ISO image path
  File data lba:  0 ,   303939 ,        1 ,      157 , '/isolinux/isolinux.cfg'

I flatten its content block to zero:

  dd if=/dev/zero conv=notrunc bs=2048 count=1 seek=303939 of="$iso"

Now booting by qemu says

  ISOLINUX 6.03 20150819 CHDD Copyright ...and.so.on...
  No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
  boot:

"CHDD" confirms that the slightly modified MBR really told isolinux.bin
to use C/H/S addressing although SeaBIOS advertises LBA.

Our previous qemu experiments with the old MBR code did not bring
isolinux.bin to C/H/S so that Martin and i did not see the stack
interface problem on the first hand.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas