[syslinux] generating hashed passwords for MENU PASSWD

Fourhundred Thecat 400thecat at gmx.ch
Wed May 17 04:30:51 PDT 2017

Hello,

the wiki says, I can use hashed password for MENU PASSWD:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Comboot/menu.c32

(actually the wiki says "encrypted" password, which I think is wrong and
misleading)

SHA-2-256	(Signature: $5$)

It further says, that SHA-2 passwords are compatible with very recent
Linux distributions.
That is great, but *HOW* do I generate such hashed password? With salt,
or without ? Hex, or base64 ?

I guess I could find it if I google long enough, but why can't there be
an example ?

could somebody please provide a working openssl command, which I can use
to sha2566-hash my password ?

many thanks
,