[syslinux] Patches from Debian

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 09:51:22 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll try to get to these soon.
>
> On Oct 22, 2017 4:14 PM, "Lukas Schwaighofer via Syslinux"
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've recently started working on the syslinux package on Debian.  I
> noticed there are a few patches applied to the Debian version which
> seem generally useful to me.  Please consider merging them:
>
> * 0001-digest-sha.patch: It appears that "Digest::SHA1" has been
>   superseded by "Digest:SHA".
> * 0003-extlinux-manpage.patch: Updates to the extlinux man page.
> * 0009-reproducible-build.patch: More reproducible order (most of it
>   was already solved in be645d7a9848847388a662f6c0f7571d52ed7a05).
> * 0015-reproducible-timestamps.patch: use SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
>   environment variable [1], if available, to create reproducible mtimes
>   in the files created by bin2c.pl.
>
> Note that the attached patches are not identical to the ones in
> Debian's syslinux source package:  I've rebased them against current
> syslinux git HEAD and dropped parts that have become unnecessary or
> were already applied.  And I've just now updated the extlinux man page a
> bit :) .
>
> Thank you
> Lukas
>
> [1] https://reproducible-builds.org/specs/source-date-epoch/

Aside from patch "burping" on unnecessary characters, everything looks good.

0001-digest-sha.patch moves from "Digest::SHA1", last touched in CPAN
in 2010 (but only 3 changes since 2004) to "Digest:SHA", introduced in
2003.  It seems the latter is more likely to see updates if bugs are
found.  It also seems there's a way with eval to check for
"Digest::SHA" and use "Digest:SHA1" if it doesn't exist, if we need to
add such logic.

--
-Gene