[syslinux] Help with PXE "Out of Memory" error?

Locane locane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:00:58 PDT 2017

Hello all!  I have a server at work that we're using for PXE OS
installation and LiveCD loading.  It's based on CentOS 7.3, and CentOS
comes with Syslinux version 4.05.

We've been having this issue, very rarely, with some systems that refuse to
load a LiveCD from the menu, claiming they're "out of memory" when we know
that is absolutely not the case; there's plenty of RAM.  This video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-rfNxA4VH0&feature=youtu.be> is of a
Supermicro H11DSU-iN motherboard throwing the error on LiveCD load.

To be clear, we've had literally thousands of diverse other systems and
servers run this LiveCD menu option with no issues; it's just this
motherboard and weirdly, any Celeron-based Intel NUCs - the NUC6CAYH.

If no one has any ideas on why this might be happening, is there a guide or
tutorial on how to set up a newer version of the Syslinux PXE files under
CentOS 7.3?  I've been taking stabs at it by just replacing the 3 files
documented in the Syslinux PXELINUX wiki page
<http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Install#PXELINUX>, but it's
behaving weirdly and, frankly, I'm kinda just taking stumbling around in
the dark here.

Would appreciate some expert advice.