[syslinux] Patches from Debian

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:35:00 PDT 2017

> Hi Ady,
>
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 22:49:53 +0000
> Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's not forget that upstream Syslinux FTBFS when building with
> > binutils 2.27+:
> >
> >  "ldlinux.elf: Not enough room for program headers"
> >
> > Workaround in Debian's package:
> > _ Add --no-dynamic-linker to link lines
> > _ 0014_fix_ftbfs_no_dynamic_linker.patch
> >

> After updating to the current syslinux development state, that patch is
> no longer required (i.e. syslinux builds fine without it).  Therefore I
> intend to drop the patch from Debian once I upload a new version and
> have not included it in my previous mail.
>
> Thanks & regards
> Lukas

I don't know of anything in newer binutils versions that would avoid
the building problem. Any clues?

IMHO, it is desirable for the upstream code to be relevant for multiple
environments (as opposed to being specific for one particular OS). The
patch in Debian has been "replicated" by other Linux distributions that
are using binutils 2.27 or newer.

Before discarding the potential patch (for upstream Syslinux), and
before disregarding the original building problem ("Not enough room for
program headers"), "we" should double-check that indeed the building
problem is no longer relevant for "anyone" (not just for Debian Sid).

Considering that most package maintainers for Syslinux-related packages
in most of the current popular Linux distributions are either
non-existent or not active, it is not so easy to get relevant feedback.

Bottom line: we don't really know what makes the problem go away (if it
really goes away), but several distributions have adopted the patch
from Debian, considering the lack of upstream code to deal with the
building problem, "Not enough room for program headers".

Perhaps the problem goes away by updating the gnu-efi submodule in
Syslinux? Or perhaps the changes that make the build more reproducible
have some influence?

If there is a better solution and/or relevant information to share
here, it would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ady.