[syslinux] Debian packaging: newest git version?

Lukas Schwaighofer lukas at schwaighofer.name
Sun Oct 29 09:28:49 PDT 2017

Hi,

I'm considering packaging syslinux from your git repository (topmost
commit "ext4: Fix 64bit feature") for Debian.

Currently syslinux version 6.03 is packaged, but the patch queue is
quite large (18 patches at the moment, mostly cherry-picked from your
git repository).  I think updating has advantages:
* I can drop most of the patches, making it easier to deal with issues
  (less likely they were introduced in Debian)
* Your git version gets a bit of testing

Since this decision will sooner or later affect a few distributions I
wanted to ask:  Do you think that's a good idea or would you prefer I
package 6.04-pre1 instead?  Some other distributions, like Fedora do
that and it will still allow me to drop quite a few patches.

Thanks for your advise
Lukas