[syslinux] Fallback to second menu entry, ONERROR looping forever

Kristian Klausen klausenbusk at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:06:30 PDT 2017

Hello Gene

On 27-09-2017 12:36, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Kristian Klausen via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I want to fallback to a second boot entry, if the kernel is missing for
>> the first entry.
>>
>> So I through I could use ONERROR, but syslinux just continue to try
>> starting the first entry.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? or can't this be done with syslinux?
> I snipped the config to later.
>
>> - Kristian Klausen
> What version of Syslinux from what build/source is being used?
I have no idea really. They was added to the Git repo on June 18th 2015,
so they "old".
I tried strings *.c32, to look for a version string but couldn't find
any. I have attached the file, if you have any idea how I can figure out
the version.

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:43 AM, TorgeirW via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I think thats the whole point with ONERROR.
>> We use it in PXELINUX with a reload label.
>>
>> So we can reload pxelinux (ONERROR) if someone types something wrong “intall» instead of «install».

> It is the point of ONERROR however, the menu might be adding to confusion.
>
> I personally try to use uppercase on the directives as it makes
> knowing what is or is not directives a little easier.
>
> Let's look at the emailed config:
>
>> default menu.c32
> This should be:
>
> DEFAULT grub
> UI menu.c32
>
> Though to see what's wrong, I'd suggest commenting out the "UI" line.
>
>> prompt 0
> For diagnostics, let's use "PROMPT 1".
I just tried that, but it didn't really change anything. I still just
get about that syslinux can't find the kernel, and it then just retries
forever.