[syslinux] Unable to get syslinux.efi to work, grub2 boots tho

KARBOWSKI Piotr piotr.karbowski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 09:25:15 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am trying to get a UEFI bootable USB. And I am unable to make it
working. I have two x86_64 systems and both of them 'hangs' when I
choose to boot UEFI from USB.

I've created fat32 formated partition with ef00 type. I placed EFI/BOOT
there with content of efi64/ distribution, I've created syslinux.cfg and
renamed syslinux.efi to BOOTX64.EFI.

However, it does just hangs.

I then replaced BOOTX64.EFI with the copy of grubx64.efi and I got a
working GRUB2 shell, so I suppose the problem is within syslinux.

I tried sys-boot/syslinux-6.03 and sys-boot/syslinux-6.04_pre1 with no luck.

any hints how to get syslinux on UEFI working?

-- Piotr.