[syslinux] fixing debian's hd-media image

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Dec 3 08:35:11 PST 2018

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> > Now it is just dd, mkfs and copy in the files we need.
> > One less thing to worry about keeping versions consistent.

> > > Yes, those 2 files came from your 'syslinux' command (in your other
> > > email). We don't want anything related to BIOS for now. Hopefully we'll
> > > get there at some point. If you can, please comment out the
> > > BIOS-related stuff in your script for now.
> >
> > removed all that.
>

> We'll come back to that later, when we combine UEFI with BIOS in the
> same boot.img.

> > > Are we actually dealing with ipxe too in all these tests?
> > >

> > Hmm?
> >
> > we are dealing with whatever QEMU uses for a boot manager.
>

> Your qemu5.png shows ipxe too (my guess is that the boot order is set
> to try ipxe first, and if it fails then "boot from hard disk").
>
> Additionally, the same qemu5.png shows a Syslinux message: "No
> configuration file found", which is not consistent with our tests (as
> shown in your qemu4.png).
>
> I must be "missing" something from your report.

Ah, that was just to show what version I am working with.  assuming
the various debian packages are all based on the same version.

> > I think the debian package contains broken binaries. I'll chase down the mainter
> > Maintainer: Debian CD Group <debian-cd at lists.debian.org>
> > Swell.  I have a few friends, I'll find someone :p
> >
> > I came to this conclusion by swapped out the files from the debian
> > package with syslinux-6.04-pre1.tar.gz and get a nice menu.
> >
> > -cp /usr/lib/SYSLINUX.EFI/efi64/syslinux.efi $target/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
> > -cp /usr/lib/syslinux/modules/efi64/ldlinux.e64 $target/EFI/BOOT/LDLINUX.E64
> > -cp /usr/lib/syslinux/modules/efi64/* $target/EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
> >
> > +# wget -N https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.04/syslinux-6.04-pre1.tar.gz
> > +# tar -xvf syslinux-6.04-pre1.tar.gz
> >
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/efi/syslinux.efi $target/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.e64
> > $target/EFI/BOOT/LDLINUX.E64
> >
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/com32/modules/*.c32 $target/EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/com32/lib/*.c32 $target/EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/com32/libutil/*.c32 $target/EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
> > +cp syslinux-6.04-pre1/efi64/com32/menu/*.c32 $target/EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
> >
> > http://imgr.sytes.net/a/qemu6.png
>

> The maintainer of the Syslinux packages in Debian is Lukas Schwaighofer
> (irc: lus). FWIW, official upstream 6.04-pre1 was built 2 years ago;
> the packages from Debian might have a building problem, but they also
> include several improvements. Lukas might be able to help with the
> error message you are getting, although, I'm still not %100 convinced
> that the problem is in the build / source code (it might, but I have
> other "suspects" too).
>
> I might prepare some "UEFIx64 floppy image" for you to boot with qemu
> in UEFIx64 mode, "as-is" (i.e. as raw floppy image, no network booting
> first, no hard disk attached, just boot the floppy in UEFIx64 mode).
> Would you be able to perform such test if I prepare such floppy image?

sure - I have a few levels of sandboxing.  and box boxing I guess:
this dc10b box i am doing all the work on is built for this testing, I
reinstall it every few weeks so im not to worried about it.

but.. I'd rather a script that wgets/builds and creates the image so I
can see/learn what is going on.
if that's cumbersome, I'll take an image.

I've been meaning to ask:
What is efi spec and what is syslinux implementation details?
like :
efi boot manager boots EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
that came from syslinux.efi via   cp
/usr/lib/SYSLINUX.EFI/efi64/syslinux.efi $target/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

I am guessing that looks forEFI/BOOT/LDLINUX.E64
came from  cp /usr/lib/syslinux/modules/efi64/ldlinux.e64
$target/EFI/BOOT/LDLINUX.E64

The cfg files have syslinux names, so 'obviously' that is syslinux.

Is there any efi spec or recommendations about dir names other than EFI/BOOT ?

> Regards,
> Ady.

Carl K