[syslinux] efi config hang

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:42:47 PST 2018

> ah ha... now that I have all the pices in place, this is what I was missing:
>
> # EFI/BOOT/SYSLX64.CFG
> # D-I config version 2.0
> # search path for the c32 support libraries (libcom32, libutil etc.)
> PATH EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64/
> DEFAULT common
> PROMPT 0
> LABEL common
> CONFIG ../../syslinux.cfg ../../
>
> The syslinux.cfg and all the other .cfg files don't need to be touched.

There is a reason I specifically added a step to rename the
"syslinux.cfg" file located in the root of the filesystem from
"syslinux.cfg" to "debian.cfg".

If you want to avoid problems for users and derivative distros
customizing the set of cfg files (which they do, and that's the reason
for having so many cfg files in Debian instead of just one), then you
should not leave the filename "syslinux.cfg" in the root of the
filesystem when introducing other Syslinux platforms (such as UEFIx64).
You could, but you shouldn't.

Since you are supposed to use "boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg" instead,
there should be no problem even when not using additional platforms.
So, in fact there is no reason to leave the name "syslinux.cfg" in the
root directory.

> The help under efi is broken (I'm pretty sure it crashes) but I'm
> somewhat convinced the binaries are broken, and I'm going to submit
> what I have.  It's pretty small, so that;s good.

We already demonstrated that the "help" files do work under UEFIx64 and
that the problem is somewhere else.

Regards,
Ady.