[syslinux] problem booting from virtual disk, looking for pointers to the code

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Feb 22 14:43:00 PST 2018

On 02/22/2018 11:23 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Chris Friesen via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

>> In the failure case I'm seeing something like this:
>>
>> SYSLINUX 4.05 0x54f93f16 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al
>>

>> and then it takes up to ~100 seconds for the VM to start running.  I suspect
>> most of that time was spent trying to load this file.
>>
>> My assumption is that this is likely an IO problem on the host. Would that
>> make sense?
>
> It's most likely although CPU contention can cause similar symptoms.
> An 8vCPU VM needs 8 idle cores to have execution time.  How many vCPUs
> (vCPU = vSockets * vCoresPerSocket)?  Physical cores (not counting CPU
> threading)?

At the time of the problem there are 10 VMs running (including the problematic
one) with one vCPU per VM.  There are 10 physical cores available.  We had just
recovered the host after maintenance, so there were a log of VMs being restarted
around the same time.

>> Also, can someone point me to the code that emits the dots while loading the
>> file?
>
> core/runkernel.inc calls dot_pause in core/abort.inc

Found it.  runkernel.inc passes the address of dot_pause to pm_load_high() which
actually loads the file and calls dot_pause().

Chris