[syslinux] pxelinux failing to boot kernel

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 03:37:53 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM, Locane via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Can you reset BIOS settings to optimized defaults on all 3 boards? As a way
> to eliminate BIOS settings differences.
>
> On Jan 8, 2018 9:00 PM, "Greg Mitchell via Syslinux" <syslinux at zytor.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hoping to find some help debugging an issue I'm having.
>
> I have 3 machines that are PXE booting Ubuntu. This morning they were
> running 17.04 and I decided to upgrade them to 17.10. All 3 machines use
> the same motherboard with onboard intel nic. After the upgrade, I made the
> necessary changes to the pxelinux.cfg file to add the new kernel. Now only
> 2 of the 3 machines boot. The other machine will not boot using the new
> kernel, only the old one. When I select the new kernel, it tftps the kernel
> and initrd (I see two "Loading..." lines printed to the screen, also
> verified in the tftpd logs). Then it just hangs, and doesn't print a single
> kernel message. All the motherboards have the latest BIOS and have the
> Intel Boot Agent that they shipped with (doesn't appear to be upgradable).
> I really have no idea what else to try. Any ideas on how to debug this?

If, after reset, the issue persists with the one, a more detailed
problem statement is in order, including PXELINUX version (and where
it comes from), add-in cards, and RAM.  Although you're unlikely to be
hitting a minor hardware fault, another step to try might be to
consider swapping RAM.

--
-Gene