[syslinux] UEFI support for chain.c32 in 6.04 syslinux

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Mon May 21 09:17:35 PDT 2018

On Fri, 2016-12-23 at 08:43 -0500, Gene Cumm via Syslinux wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Robin Mathews (robimath) via
> Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks ,
> >
> > Can you please let me know if there is any fix for chain
> > I am booting my system with syslinux.efi and want to chain load to
> > windows or sex specific boot loader in the second stage  .
> chain.c32 has a lot of BIOS-isms and probably isn't worth modifying.
> I believe none of the chain.c32 options apply to a (U)EFI
> environment.
>
> There is a patch I'm reviewing for a new module to chainload (U)EFI
> but it needs a lot of style cleanup. The chainloading of (U)EFI
> binaries should be a lot closer to how linux.c32 works though might
> in
> the future contain (U)EFI-specific options.  See
> EFI_BOOT_SERVICES.LoadImage().

Did anything ever come of this? I'm about to be under some pressure to
upgrade our aging PXE boot menu system to support UEFI, and as you
might imagine, we currently rely quite heavily on chainloading (there
are currently at least 38 invocations of pxechain.cbt, and yes, I'm
still using that :-)).

-- Jeff