[syslinux] SAY command (mis)behaviour?

nfb notfreebeer at disroot.org
Thu Nov 1 08:27:13 PDT 2018

Hi,
I have a small issue with the SAY command and i hope you can clarify
it out for me.

I boot my system with the attached extlinux.conf, which has some
entries to boot old kernels. When i'm booting the old versions i'd
like to have a reminder message recalling me that the most recent
kernel is not being used, so that i don't forget to switch back to it,
for example after many days of uptime.

Now, is it normal that _every_ SAY command is executed no matter which
LABEL block is being booted? In the attached file, if i boot the LABEL
"debian" i still get the messages from the two other blocks, and
obviously i don't want that. Did I misunderstand what the SAY command
should do?

Thanks for your attention.

--
free as in freedom, not free beer