[syslinux] Discard .note.gnu.property section to fix build failure (patch)

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 10:00:27 PST 2018

Hi,

Gene Cumm wrote:
> > There's 0 need to build MBRs for EFI

Ady wrote:
> At least gptmbr.bin might come to mind

It's source code looks like a BIOS MBR program which shall search
the "active" partition in GPT rather than in the MBR partition table.
See comments about "EBIOS" detection and "CHS" addresses in
  https://github.com/geneC/syslinux/blob/master/mbr/gptmbr.S

"Active" partitn would be the one which has bit 2 set in the Attributes
field (byte offset 48 to 55) of its GPT entry: "Legacy BIOS Bootable".

So indeed, EFI on hard disk does not need more of an MBR than the magic
number at bytes 510, 511 and an MBR partition entry of type 0xEE or
0xEF.

> > and I'm looking at why utils/ depends on mbr/

> isohybrid(.pl) and mkdiskimage come to mind here?

The isohybrid programs each contain six copies of MBR binaries.
See variable ISOHDPFX in
  https://github.com/geneC/syslinux/blob/master/utils/Makefile

The same file has mkdiskimage including a hex version of mbr/mbr.bin.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas