[syslinux] syslinux PXE boot version upgrade, network no longer working

Adan Calderon adancalderon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:05:37 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I had some issues with keeppxe and also found a solution after much
trial and error.  I would have not mind trying out “experimental”
binaries but it was not clear where to find them.  I use a stock a
stock install of slackware64 current for my tftp server.  I use
pfsense to point to the tftp server under the dhcp boot options.  I
upgraded from Syslinux 6.03 to 6.04 pre1 and was still unable to keep
the UNDI API.  I am glad I subscribed to this list, because otherwise
I would have not even known that there were issues with keeppxe.

The solution for me was to chain load version 4.07.  I already did
this for a menu to help me load VMWare ESXi 5.5, as they use their own
version of mboot.c32 that only works with syslinux before 4.07.

My tftp directory (tftpboot) essentially has a subdirectory named dos.
I use “MENU INCLUDE pxelinux.cfg/dos.cfg” inside of the default
file(tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default).  The dos cfg file looks as
follows:

#tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/dos.cfg
MENU BEGIN
MENU TITLE DOS
LABEL DOS
MENU LABEL PXE Boot DOS
KERNEL pxechn.c32
append ::/dos/pxelinux.0
MENU END

Inside the dos subdirectory, I have 3 files (pxelinux.0, memdisk,
FreeDOS.img.gz) and another pxelinux.cfg subdirectory.  The file
tftpboot/dos/pxelinux.0 and tftpboot/dos/memdisk come from syslinux
4.07.  There is another default file located inside dos/pxelinux.cfg
that looks as follows:

#tftpboot/dos/pxelinux.cfg/default
DEFAULT DOS
LABEL DOS
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND keeppxe initrd=FreeDOS.img.gz raw SERVERNAME=DATASERVER
COMPUTERNAME=TERM01 USERNAME=GUEST WORKGROUP=WORKGROUP

This made it possible for me to pxe boot Free DOS 1.2 and use the
Intel Universal NDIS Driver v2.11 981212 with the Microsoft 3.0 Net
Client.  Finding the NDIS.DOS file for DOS proved difficult but I
ended up finding them by doing ftp searches online for pxe20-sdk.exe,
pxe20-pdk.exe, pxe_pdk.exe.

I hope this information also helps someone else and I hope a newer
release of syslinux eventiually fix the keeppxe parameter which I also
discovered has to come after an append statement and is case
sensitive.

Best Regards,

Adan Calderon

http://www.adancalderon.net