[syslinux] Question of syslinux chainloading

Lu Wei luweitest at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:45:38 PDT 2019

On 2019-4-13 4:23, C. Masloch via Syslinux wrote:
> MS-DOS 7.10 (first appearing in MSW 95 OSR2, later re-used in MSW 98
> and 98 SE) and 8.00 (MSW Me, and MSW XP DOS boot diskettes) both
> support FAT32 equally well.
>
> MS-DOS 8.00 (without some patches that are around) only supports
> booting in DOS mode from diskettes. Hard disk booting only succeeds
> when directly passing control to the Windows loader.

Rufus can only extract DOS8 files from my WindowsXP. I also tried
HPUSBFW, which can specify DOS files location, so I used it to create
DOS7 and DOS8 USB boot disk (on the same USB-HDD, after Rufus
experiment, only io.sys and command.com), and the result is the same:
DOS8 can boot while DOS7 failed. Even simply copying DOS8 files to DOS7
formatted disk (I hope it excludes bootsector incompatibility) can make
it bootable. So I think DOS8 may be better with FAT32. The Disk is 8G.

Lu Wei
IM:	xmpp:luweitest at riotcat.org
PGP:	0xA12FEF7592CCE1EA