[syslinux] Fix: menu immediate for submenu

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:48:12 PDT 2019

> Hello,
>
> the hot key assigned to a MENU BEGIN (via MENU LABEL) doesn't cause the
> submenu to be entered automatically when MENU IMMEDIATE is used (at previous
> level). Here's a patch over syslinux 6.03. Patch was tested on Debian.
>
> Regards
> Dany
>
> *Sample config*
> # hot keys: S,1,2 are immediate (screen flash), but not E
> MENU IMMEDIATE
> LABEL standard
>  MENU LABEL ^Standard
>
> MENU BEGIN
>  MENU LABEL ^Extra
>  LABEL extra1
>    MENU LABEL ^1. One
>  LABEL extra2
>    MENU LABEL ^2. Two
> MENU END
> # end-of-config

Thank you for the patch. Hopefully the developers will at least ACK it.

Have you tested (before and after the patch) what happens when the optional
"tagname" is actually used for MENU BEGIN?

I mean, instead of just:

MENU BEGIN
 MENU LABEL ^Extra

what happens (before and after the patch) when you use:

MENU BEGIN Extra
 MENU LABEL ^Extra

Reminder: The tagname (i.e. the first "Extra" in the same row as "MENU BEGIN"
in my example above) acts as a label for MENU BEGIN.

Also, what happens (before and after the patch) if there is a LABEL directive
right before MENU BEGIN?

I mean, what happens if the cfg is:

LABEL Extra
MENU BEGIN
 MENU LABEL ^Extra

(I admit it has been years since I last tested MENU BEGIN with all these
combinations, so I don't exactly remember whether using a LABEL right before
MENU BEGIN is actually valid/acceptable.)

Again, thank you for the suggested patch.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ady.