[syslinux] Extlinux no longer bootable, how to fix?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 04:00:16 PDT 2019

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:13 PM Tong Sun via Syslinux
<syslinux at syslinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a strange problem, my extlinux is no longer bootable,
> and I'm wondering how to troubleshoot the problem for a fix.
>
> It's not just an one-off thing, but is happening to me all the time --
> I use extlinux to boot up all my linux, and it has always been working
> for me, for at least 10+ years. However recently I started to
> duplicate my linux system from partition to partition, from a
> carefully configured one, and from machine to machine as well.
>
> - during the mirror/transfer, I always exclude the
> /boot/extlinux/ldlinux.sys file

Presumably this is just a file copy and not duplicating things like
the VBR (the first sector of the file system/partition).

> - then after the transfer, I always do a extlinux install via
>
>     extlinux --install $new_os_mnt/boot/extlinux
>
> I think this should be enough, however, the strange problem is that it
> is not fully working:
>
> - its menu shows up fine but can’t boot /vmlinuz

In the context of your shell command, I assume this exists as
"$new_os_mnt/vmlinuz"?  Or did you really want to load
"$new_os_mnt/boot/extlinux/vmlinuz" and should have specified
"vmlinuz"?

> - after sellecting the menu, it shows “Loading /vmlinuz...” then
> flashed “failed”, and go back to the menu again.

What is "$new_os_mnt/vmlinuz"?  A real file or a symlink?

--
-Gene