[syslinux] Question on upgrading to syslinux 6.04?

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:40:45 PDT 2019

> I've upgraded the syslinux from the kernel.org builds over the years up
> to 6.03 and just copied the newer files, and it has worked. Saw that the
> new build machine I setup with Fedora 30 had the version 6.04 files. I
> tried the same process, and then booting the iso comes up with message
> that it can not load ldlinux.c32, which is there.
>
> I then downlod the latest git, and built the files from source, again
> copying all the files. It again, fails with the same message. Restored
> files from 6.03, and it builds and boots just fine?

>From Fedora 30, are you testing package(s) version "6.04-0.12.fc30"?
Older versions for F30 will probably fail.

If you are already trying that version and it still fails, then you
could try the binaries from current Debian Testing (you do _not_ need
to have the whole OS installed in order to download the binaries), or
official upstream binaries from 6.04-pre1. Please avoid official
6.04-pre2 and 6.04-pre3 upstream binaries.

As for building from current upstream source (git), it will probably
fail in some way or another (either the building process or the
resulting binaries).

Regards,
Ady.