[syslinux] Question on upgrading to syslinux 6.04?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at guam.net
Fri Aug 16 09:59:25 PDT 2019

On 16 Aug 2019 at 5:40, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:

To:             	"syslinux at zytor.com" <syslinux at zytor.com>
Date sent:      	Fri, 16 Aug 2019 05:40:45 +0000
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Question on upgrading to syslinux 6.04?
From:           	Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at syslinux.org>
Send reply to:  	Ady Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com>

> > I've upgraded the syslinux from the kernel.org builds over the years up
> > to 6.03 and just copied the newer files, and it has worked. Saw that the
> > new build machine I setup with Fedora 30 had the version 6.04 files. I
> > tried the same process, and then booting the iso comes up with message
> > that it can not load ldlinux.c32, which is there.
> >
> > I then downlod the latest git, and built the files from source, again
> > copying all the files. It again, fails with the same message. Restored
> > files from 6.03, and it builds and boots just fine?
>

> From Fedora 30, are you testing package(s) version "6.04-0.12.fc30"?
> Older versions for F30 will probably fail.

Had recently done a dnf update, and noticed that it included the upgrade to
that version, so that is why I tried it, but it failed with the error message I
mentioned. Then downloaded the git clone, and compiled it, but it also failed.

> If you are already trying that version and it still fails, then you
> could try the binaries from current Debian Testing (you do _not_ need
> to have the whole OS installed in order to download the binaries), or
> official upstream binaries from 6.04-pre1. Please avoid official
> 6.04-pre2 and 6.04-pre3 upstream binaries.

Thanks. It has always just worked in the past from the official kernel.org
downloads up to the latest 6.03. Just thought that since Fedora 30 was
including the 6.04 that it would work??

> As for building from current upstream source (git), it will probably
> fail in some way or another (either the building process or the
> resulting binaries).
Thanks. Just went back to the 6.03 version, and it works fine, just looking to
see if maybe the newer version would add some additonal support.

Thanks.

> Regards,
> Ady.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes at guam.net
 mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS

ROSETTA      66311323.990119 | ABC          16613838.513356
SETI        109804121.703177 | EINSTEIN    141859222.999240