[syslinux] Getting classic BIOS and UEFI boot on the same disk?

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Wed Aug 21 11:00:55 PDT 2019

Hi Ady,

Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:

> To me, it is not so clear what exactly is your goal.

sorry for not being detailed enough.

> Do you want to build an image for an internal HDD that could be capable
> of booting in both, BIOS mode and UEFI mode?

Yes. This would make us independent from the BIOS boot mode.

> Or, is this for a portable (USB) device?

Maybe - would be nice if this would work, but not required.
> Or, is this for some kind of ISO image?

No.

> Or, is this for some kind of network-booting, in order to install OSes
> to the internal HDD?

No. We put in a disk that is already ready to use.

> Additionally, what OS(es) are you planning to boot from Syslinux (in
> either BIOS mode and/or UEFI mode)?
Linux. 32 bit (and 64 bit if this alternative is possible). Vanilla kernel +
Linux from scratch.

> Is the resulting image expected to support multiple OSes? Which ones
> (e.g. Windows, Linux)?

Linux - as written above 32 and 64 bit but not at the same time of course. So
one image for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. No boot option to choose.
No Windows, nothing else.

> Depending on the answers to these questions, the answers to your
> original questions (might) vary.

I'll cross fingers!

> Regards,
> Ady.