[syslinux] Getting classic BIOS and UEFI boot on the same disk?

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Sat Aug 31 02:48:04 PDT 2019

Gregory Bartholomew wrote:
> That is correct. "bls1 include" would cause errors without the patch. The main
> parts of the script that would be relevant to you would be the parts that create
> the partition, set its type codes, write the first-stage boot loader to the
> first 440 bytes of the disk, and lay out the file system (e.g. it demonstrates
> that a single /syslinux.cfg file can be shared between both the UEFI and BIOS
> binaries). Much of the rest of it would be irrelevant for your case.

Sounds good. What I did not find - maybe I'm not too deep in this topic - will
the classic BIOS boot find a proper classic partition table? Or will it find
only the GPT? The oldest system we have in operation has a AMI BIOS dated 2004 -
will it be able to handle the GPT or do I need further modifications?
(I'll have the answer at last next week after trying it out :-))

Best regards,

Erik