[syslinux] Getting classic BIOS and UEFI boot on the same disk?

Gregory Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:14:37 PDT 2019

I don't think the classic BIOS systems read the partition table at all.
Rather, they just load the first 440 bytes from the drive into memory and
copy the memory address that it was loaded to a CPU register. From there,
it is up to that 440 byte program to decipher the partition table. If you
use syslinux's gptmbr.bin, you should be fine.