[syslinux] chainloading syslinux problem

David Balažic xerces9 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 15:26:54 PST 2019

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 23:19, Gregory Lee Bartholomew <
gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-12-17 at 22:46 +0100, David Balažic via Syslinux wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I have bootable (USB flash) disk, that _appears_ to be using syslinux.
> > (the word syslinux is in the PBR, in the hexdump).
> > How can I chainload it? The payload seems to be a file that I tried
> > load with COMBOOT, COM32 etc, but nothing works (they report that the
> > file is not in proper format, wrong magic number or simply crash). How
> > to proceed?
> >

> I'm not sure how to chainload the PBR, but assuming that syslinux is in
> the MBR,
> you might be able to boot it with QEMU.

I guess I was not clear enough.
The current state is:
MBR loads PBR which eventually loads the "app"

What I want is:
put grub2 on MBR (possibly also overwriting PBR) and in the grub2 menu add
an item the (chain)loads the previously mentioned "app" (there would of
course be other menu items in grub2...)

Hope this is more clear now.

Regards,
David