[syslinux] PXELINUX gets stuck when receiving non-PXE traffic

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 21:17:02 PDT 2019

> On 7/18/19 6:18 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > lpxelinux.0 interacts with the network ROM in a completely different
> > way than pxelinux.0.  In general, the method used by pxelinux.0 is
> > likely to be *far* more reliable given the crazy variety of PXE ROMs
> > out there; however, it can inherently only use UDP and therefore only
> > supports TFTP. For that reason, I strongly recommend that people use
> > lpxelinux.0 only if you intend to boot from a non-TFTP protocol (i.e.
> > HTTP or FTP.)
> >

> That being said, I have to say I'm surprised that iPXE would have that
> problem (seeing that it apparently uses iPXE as its PXE ROM.)
>
> [Michael: this is with regards to this system:
> https://pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm; it apparently fails with syslinux in
> UNDI mode (lpxelinux.0).]

IDK why a failure in the the interaction between iPXE and Syslinux
would be such a surprise.

A reminder (note: "AFAIK, then nothing happened with them" is still
current, and updating lwip in Syslinux has not been done either,
AFAICR):

 https://www.syslinux.org/archives/2017-June/025815.html

Considering that at least 3 of Michael Brown's patches sent to Syslinux
were effectively ignored, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't reply
to this new email thread (but I hope he does).

Regards,
Ady.