[syslinux] Help! Extlinux no longer bootable after reorder disk numbers

Tong Sun suntong001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:08:37 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:32 AM Tong Sun <suntong001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I split one partition, then my hard drive partitions and my partition
> numbers are listed in the wrong order and I fixed them
> <https://journalxtra.com/linux/how-to-reorder-linux-drive-partition-numbers/> so
> they run sequentially from lowest to highest.
>
> And the problem is, as the article
> <https://journalxtra.com/linux/how-to-reorder-linux-drive-partition-numbers/> has
> warned, my disks are "completely buggered" and none of my existing Ubuntu
> systems can boot now. The Extlinux boot will complain something about:
>
> requested disk number partition combination not found

Took a screenshot and tracked down the exact place that output the error:
Logical partition (in EBR) with invalid offset and/or length

https://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git/blob/HEAD:/com32/chain/partiter.c#l189

So it seems that my extended boot record (EBR) has been structurally
damaged, slightly, that chain/partiter is complaining about it but mounting
it, is OK.

If booting from Live CD, all the Ubuntu systems/partitions are still