[syslinux] does git head work?

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:00:52 PDT 2019

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 04:26:19PM +0000, Patrick Welche via Syslinux wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 04:15:48PM +0000, Patrick Welche via Syslinux wrote:
> > > I just idly git cloned head and roughly compiled it on a stock ubuntu 18 box.
> > > Using the generated pxelinux.0 and ldlinux.c32, I see
> > >
> > >   "Failed to load ldlinux.c32"
> > >
> > > If I replace those files with the ones out of the ubuntu installer, I get
> > > the prompt (i.e., ldlinux.c32 is loaded).
> > >
> > > Is head known to have issues, or is there a way of building broken binaries?
> >
> > Same failure using
> >
> > ./syslinux-6.04-pre3/bios/core/pxelinux.0
> > ./syslinux-6.04-pre3/bios/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.c32
> >
> > from
> >
> > https://www.zytor.com/pub/syslinux/Testing/6.04/syslinux-6.04-pre3.tar.xz
>
> Just for completeness:
>
>   https://www.zytor.com/pub/syslinux/syslinux-6.03.tar.xz
>
> is OK. (obviously: it is released ;-) )

Indeed, the problem with current git master head is known. 6.04-pre3
_will_ fail.

There is another (temporal) git head, currently named "wip.makefixes";
Peter was working on it, until a couple of weeks ago. He then reported
success when building from it, but only for BIOS; still failed for UEFI
binaries. Additional fixes might arrive at some point; please don't ask
"when" (nor "if") because no one knows.

Regarding UEFI, some patches have been sent upstream to gnu-efi and
they were already applied to its own git master head. I have no idea
whether they improve the situation when building Syslinux; a test would
need to include building first gnu-efi from its current git master head
and patching Syslinux so as to use _that_ as submodule when building
Syslinux (and using also the aforementioned "wip.makefixes" git head,
patched accordingly, of course).

I would welcome feedback and potential patches. Whether such things
would influence Syslinux's developers (which I'm not) at some point, I
don't know.

I hope this reply at least answers the original main question.

Regards,
Ady.