[syslinux] lpxelinux.0 issues with larger initrd.img files from RHEL >= 7.5 on UCS servers?

Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer m+syslinux at thi.eu.com
Wed May 22 06:15:42 PDT 2019

	Hello Ady,

thanks for getting back to me.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 01:33:50AM +0000, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > Is there something I could do
>
> A_ Instead of 6.03, try 6.04-pre1 (not pre2 and not pre3, but pre1).
> Please remember to change _all_ related files to the same version, not
> just lpxelinux.0.
>
> Alternatively (and in many cases, even better) you could try current
> Debian's "Unstable" packages, which are "more up-to-date" than
> 6.04-pre1.

I downloaded pxelinux and syslinux 6.04 from sid, this version has the
same issue. I had also tried official 6.04-pre but not all of them as
some are known to be broken: they didn't work either...

> B_ In the configuration file, instead of using:
> [...]
> try:
>
> ###
> LABEL mylabel
> LINUX mykernel
> INITRD myinitrd
> APPEND myoptions
> ###

Because our installer has a long history, we were still using:
LABEL
KERNEL
APPEND

I tried using LINUX with INITRD and APPEND but the behavior is the same:
the host reboots.

> and/or also try:
>
> ###
> LABEL mylabel2
> COM32 linux.c32
> APPEND initrd=myinitrd myoptions
> ###

Tried that as well, both using 6.03 and 6.04 from Debian, doesn't work
either.

On a graphical console, I do see a "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)"
right before the server reboots...

I did try a edd=off but it doesn't make a difference either...

Any other ideas? ;-)

Cheers,
--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer                               m+syslinux at thi.eu.com
            The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.