[syslinux] current state of pxelinux for UEFI...

Frantisek Rysanek Frantisek.Rysanek at post.cz
Thu Nov 7 14:06:04 PST 2019

Dear gentlemen,

I think I'd better start another thread for this...
thanks to Ady Ady and Gregory Lee Bartholomew for their responses to
my early question.

Just for the record, my fresh experience with PXElinux 6.x follows:

syslinux.efi version 6.03 does boot to the extent that it shows a
prompt, but if I provide it with a CFG file containing several
labels, no matter what label I type at the boot prompt, it always
loads the default label :-)

And, it then croaks about incorrect signature... and yes I do have
secure boot disabled in the BIOS. It sure won't start any .efi
exectuable that I've tried (such as ipxe.efi or memtest.efi or the
rEFInd, which OTOH is not a surprise, as this is not supposed to
work). I believe I've noticed Ady Ady's earlier message that
chain-loading further bootloaders does not work.
If I try to load a kernel and an initrd, it takes ages to load them,
and apparently syslinux then hangs once the two files get loaded,
there's never any further message.
Do I need to modify the standard kernel bzImage in any way, for it to
be UEFI-bootable via PXElinux or Grub2 ?

Next I tried the current latest GIT "master".
That doesn't even get as far as showing a prompt.
I'm attaching a log snippet from the TFTP server.
Apparently it loads the syslinux.efi, then it loads the syslinux.efi
again, then it loads the ldlinux.e64 (prepared at the path where it's
looking for it), and then tries to load that same file ldlinux.e64
again, over and over several times, as if the first load attempt
failed... I believe the PXE stack actually flashes a message that it
has loaded the boot file, but that message vanishes in a fraction of
a second and then it gets stuck with just about two text lines, as if
nothing got loaded...

Tomorrow I'll try the branch prepared by Sebastian Herbszt, mentioned
here:
https://www.syslinux.org/archives/2019-July/026484.html

I've also found Gregory's patch here:
  https://www.syslinux.org/archives/2019-July/026476.html
If I understand this correctly, it doesn't fix the buggy strncat
Gregory has mentioned - the patch adds support for another boot image
format called BLS1 (now becoming popular).
There's probably no point for me to try to apply this patch...

I've also tried looking at the binaries available from Debian testing
packages "pxelinux" and "syslinux-common"... and it seems to me that
the "pxelinux" package only contains binaries for the legacy BIOS
PXE, and the "syslinux-common" contains just the c32 modules for all
three flavours (BIOS/UEFI32/UEFI64) but no syslinux.efi...

Any response would be welcome :-)

So far I've been trying with one particular board by AsRock.
I should probably try other motherboards too, for comparison.
I have other hardware around, where a UEFI-flavoured PXE stack
is an option (besides legacy PXE) or where UEFI PXE is the only way.
I may test them later as I get the boxes or boards in my hands.
I work in a "computer hardware toy store" and I tend to use Linux for
some diagnostic tasks - hence my motivation to have a netboot
environment in the LAN.

Frank Rysanek