[syslinux] syslinux.efi and vendor-class-identifier

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 7 10:42:57 PDT 2019

> However, I have just tested the exact same boot procedure using a Dell
> laptop (Latitude 7480) - and it all worked without a problem - that is,
> syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64 were downloaded without a problem - and
> from a tcpdump, there was *no* DHCP transaction between downloading
> syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64
>
> So I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't work on the Dell 3930 - may be a
> firmware bug/feature (it is running the latest firmware) ?

Reminder: syslinux.efi 6.04-pre1 does not support Secure Boot. Secure
Boot needs to be set "off".

Please also note that the behavior of this Dell 3930 system might vary,
depending on the firmware's options; see below.

>From the manual for the Dell 3930 system:

Network adapter:
Integrated Intel 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet (RJ45)
Integrated Aquantia 10 GB/s Ethernet (RJ45)

Integrated NIC:
Allows you to control the onboard LAN controller. The option ‘Enable
UEFI Network Stack’ is not selected by default. The options are:
* Disabled
* Enabled
* Enabled w/PXE (default)

Integrated NIC2:
Allows you to control the onboard LAN controller. The option ‘Enable
UEFI Network Stack’ is not selected by default. The options are:
* Disabled
* Enabled (default)
* Enabled w/PXE

UEFI Network Stack
Allows pre-OS and early OS networking features to use any enabled NICs.
This may be used without PXE turned on.
* Enable UEFI Network Stack
* Default - (Disabled)

So, maybe these "BIOS" options (among others) might need to be changed
for syslinux.efi to work correctly with this system/NIC(s).

Perhaps a PXE boot in CSM mode, using pxelinux.0 + ldlinux.c32 from the
same 6.04-pre1 version would show a different behavior in this same
system.

Regards,
Ady.