[syslinux] syslinux.efi and vendor-class-identifier

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 05:56:51 PDT 2019

> > You can set up the system to PXE boot in legacy BIOS mode (which I'm
> > guessing is CSM mode?) - and I _can_ install CentOS 7 via pxelinux.0 etc
> > (we're using the pxelinux.0 supplied in the syslinux RPM that comes with
> > CentOS - which I think is v4 ?) - however, as the Dell 3930 does not
> > support booting from internal devices in legacy BIOS mode, it is
> > impossible to then boot the installed system :-)

If that's really the case (i.e. CSM is not allowed for internal HDD),
then CSM would be almost useless. Is this really a UEFI "type 2"
firmware?

> As a side note, some installers support booting in BIOS mode with the
> CSM then installing to disk for UEFI boot.  I've also seen firmware
> config options like "Allow legacy OROMs" that may help for BIOS boot.

>From the system's manual:

Advanced Boot Options:
Allows you to select the Enable Legacy Option ROMs option, when in UEFI
boot mode. By default, this option is selected.
* Enable Legacy Option ROMs
* Enable Attempt Legacy Boot
* Default— None Selected

Additionally, things like boot/admin password(s) might interfere with a
correct/successful boot. Another thing that comes to mind is Windows'
Bitlocker. IOW, these things might (also) prevent successfully booting
(especially in CSM mode) when the system/firmware is not configured
accordingly.

Regards,
Ady.