[syslinux] Problem with cascading configurations

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Wed Sep 4 09:37:03 PDT 2019

Am 03.09.2019 um 13:48 schrieb Bjørn Mork:
> Malte Forkel via Syslinux <syslinux at syslinux.org> writes:
>
>> How do I have to configure PXE to make it use the "right" version of
>> ldlinux.c32?
> Do it the other way around: Use the same syslinux installation for all
> Debian releases, and make all the modules match this version.
>
> Either replace all the *.c32 files in each release tree with links to
> the shared modules, or change the path in the
> debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg files to point to a shared
> /syslinux directory where all the modules are found.

True, but I'm still hoping there is a solution that does not require
changes to the release tree. I would have to re-apply those changes
whenever I update one of the releases (including the often changing sid)
and make sure there are no compatibility issues with the rest of the
boot image.

Why is the working directory specified by CONFIG not used to retrieve
ldlinux.c32? Couldn't that be considered an error?

I tried using PATH but found that it will add to the list of directories
searched. Is there any way to specify a search path specific to the
scope of each LABEL in pxelinux.cfg/default?

Malte