[syslinux] isolinux 6.04-pre3-3-g05ac953 - failed to load ldlinux.c32

David F. df7729 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 16:00:11 PDT 2019

Hi,

We have been using isolinux 3.75 for a while now, to support pxelinux
and UEFI we were going to update to 6.03, but seeing 6.04 has but
fixes, decided to go with 6.04-pre3.  First, is that about read for a
"make official' ?   Second, I did have to modify
gnu-efi/inc/efilinks.h for the build to complete (had to remove the
(intptr_t) which doesn't belong in EFI/EDK).

So I've taken a -m32 build of the isolinux.bin and now the new (to me
from 3.x)  ldlinux.c32 and put them in the root of the iso, replacing
the existing isolinux.bin (adding ldlinux.c32) and rebuilding.
Booting from vmware player on linux, just get "Failed to load
ldlinux.c32", but it is in there on the root of the .iso (as a test, I
also did one under a isolinux sub-directory but same issue).  Using
the debug version of isolinux I see:

isolinux: Startup up, DL = 9F
isolinux: Load spec packet OK, drive = 9F
isolinux: Main image LBA = 0000002D
isolinux: Image read, jumping to main code...

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry..

So my starting question, is this a known issue?  Does anyone have
ideas on why?  If not, I'll debug it, but can someone direct me to the
source code locations that I'd be interested in looking at..

If I do fix something, I presume I can't commit to git.   So  what is
best way to get to maintainers?  (just a tip, I'm not a git expert, I
barely know the basics to get the files, and commit local).

TIA!!