[syslinux] 10 year old question

Jane Todoroski jane.todoroski at gmail.com
Wed May 13 13:24:15 PDT 2020

Hi,

Sorry to butt in like this, but (for once) I starter reading a syslinux
related "thread" and I thought I might help.

I've been working on a AIO boot USB and looking into various lightweight
live Linux distros. Of course, Puppy was at the top of the list, but
lately... it's become kinda bloated and with too much make up... at least
for my taste. So, I started looking for alternatives and I ran into a
Puppy/Slitaz "mix" (fork): TazPuppy.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113255

It's still in beta, but I believe it might be just what the OP is looking
for. It's small, lightweight, has a variety of tools and it's being
regularly updated by the author (even though it's still in beta).

I would recommend the Beta 46 version since after Beta 46, the author
changed some of the drivers to support newer hardware and, well... that
messed up booting to X on old hardware :-\. I've been meaning to write in
the thread on the Puppy Linux forum about this problem, just never got to
it.

Here's a link to the ISO for the Beta 46.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LzSoDegRJpeY9wc2VROKGZKmEdpT-sf0

I believe the author uses an older syslinux version for the ISO, can't
remember which one though.

I've also made a repack of the ISO because of the protected vs. real mode
problem regarding distros using SquashFS as a deployment method. The repack
contains all of the sqfs files into the initrd, so the init doesn't have to
look for the required files further than it's own back yard :). Here's a
link to my repack.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19p_v3cgyvcbiUFe0HOAT2aLfJSsqk-Q_

My repack is built with the latest stable syslinux release, 6.03. See if it
boots as it should from a CD/DVD. If it does, you could try installing the
bootloader to the internal drive, copy the required files and make your own
cfg file to boot to TazPuppy. You could take the cfg file from the ISO as
an example of how a custom made cfg for syslinux should look like. Don't
forget the kernel boot parameters, most of them are required in order for
TazPuppy to boot properly on (almost) all hardware.

Regards,

Jane Todoroski