[syslinux] Voidlinux integration

Gregory Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Fri May 22 10:40:51 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:53 PM Kai Hendry via Syslinux <
syslinux at syslinux.org> wrote:

> When I do a linux update, the Void package drops in a new files that look
> like vmlinuz-5.6.6_1/initramfs-5.6.6_1.img. How does one generate the
> /boot/EFI/syslinux/syslinux.cfg ?

I'm not familiar with your distribution, but if it doesn't provide scripts
to generate the syslinnux.cfg, there is probably a way to provide your own.
On my systemd-based Fedora system, I can drop scripts in
/etc/kernel/install.d that will then get called whenever kernels are added
or removed. Those scripts can generate or update the syslinux.cfg file on
/boot. The version of the kernel being added or removed is provided as a
parameter to the scripts.

> Since /boot is FAT32, no symlinks can be used.
>
> Ideally syslinux could just allow me to browse and select the
> kernel/initrd, but that doesn't appear possible to do.

There is something called the "Boot Loader Specification" that adds support
for drop-in config files on /boot. With the the drop-in support, new
kernels just appear on the boot menu without having to modify syslinux.cfg.
Unfortunately, the patch doesn't appear to have been approved/pulled into
the upstream code base yet. If you want that, you would have to compile
your own copy of syslinux with the patch applied.