[syslinux] Customized theme for Syslinux.cfg

Donald, Nicholas Nicholas.Donald at bhemail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:56:13 PDT 2020

Greetings Syslinux forum,

I used this link; https://askubuntu.com/questions/1090891/grub-menu-colors and I followed it's tutorial for implementing the grub theme and was able to delete the menu border by creating a customized grub theme for UEFI boot (grub.cfg)! Do you know if the "syslinux.cfg"(legacy boot grub) can have it's border removed, like do you know if "syslinux.cfg" has a customizable theme like there is for "grub.cfg"(UEFI), because I would like to, if possible, delete the border in the syslinux.cfg(legacy boot) file since I now have grub.cfg customized?

I researched and tested the syslinux Simple menu system (which is run from the vesamenu.c32 or menu.c32 binaries) and the Advanced menu system (run from the simple.c32, complex.c32, test.c32, etc.). I was able to download the syslinux repository with the command:   git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git syslinux-project ,
I was able to compile the project in linux using the make command and was able to get the compiled binaries (vesamenu.c32, menu.c32, simple.c32, complex.c32, test.c32) working in syslinux(legacy boot). The exception is that vesamenu.c32 and menu.c32 are the only ui menus that utilize the syslinux.cfg file (linux os loading menu options), while the other ui menus (simple.c32, complex.c32, test.c32, etc.) have different options(not the linux os loading menu options). The file vesamenu.c (found in the com32/menu/ directory) seems to be the entry point for changing the vesamenu.c32 build, but I couldn't find any code in the vesamenu.c that deletes the menu border in syslinux(legacy boot), nor could I find examples online. Does anyone know what file in the syslinux repository code has the code that builds the menu border, so that I can delete the menu border? Also if you know any other links that allow for deleting the menu border in syslinux?

Best Regards,

Nicholas Donald

Best Regards,

Nicholas Donald