[syslinux] Equivalent to GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep with vesamenu?

Gregory Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:58:46 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:35 PM nerdopolis via Syslinux <
syslinux at syslinux.org> wrote:

> OK, I am realizing that in syslinux there IS a special case for
> vga=current / vga=
>
> https://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git/blob/346d2278e23f1b9f02903506753263ad7226de58:/com32/lib/syslinux/load_linux.c#l497
>
> Trying that option I do see much different behavior. It doesn't flush the
> display, as if though going into text mode (which is a good start), but it
> appears The kernel never creates the /dev/fb0 device like it does with grub
> starting it.

From
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/fb/vesafb.rst:

" ... You should compile in both vgacon (for text mode) and vesafb (for
graphics mode). Which of them takes over the console depends on whenever
the specified mode is text or graphics. ..."

I wonder if the kernel is falling back to text mode because it doesn't
recognize "vga=current" as a graphics mode? Maybe you can force it with
"video=vesafb:on" (or maybe "video=efifb:on" if you are using syslinux.efi).