[syslinux] simple message under BIOS/CSM/LEGACY

Pascal patatetom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 09:55:28 PDT 2022

here is what I plan to test :
leave the protective partition in place (1), mark it as active (2) and
change its first sector to zero (3).

1) its absence seems to be a problem (at least with qemu/ovmf),
2) gdisk does not activate it by default,
3) the MBR and the first sector of the active partition will be confused
and will both have the boot strap code (BSC eg. the code) to display the
warning.

*if the BIOS needs nothing but the 0x55AA signature, it loads MBR and runs
BSC.if the BIOS needs a (table of) partition before loading MBR and handing
over to BSC, it has it.if the BIOS needs an active partition, it has it and
if it loads its PBR instead of MBR, it has it too.*

the only point that seems contentious to me is whether a partition can have
its first sector set to zero ?
does the BIOS check this kind of thing ?

regards, lacsaP.