[syslinux] Is Syslinux still in active development?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 14 04:36:27 PDT 2022

On Fri, 2022-08-12 at 18:05+0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> I recall I had extremely difficulty with booting up my Linux From
> Scratch with Syslinux a few years ago.

Hi,

FWIW I'm using syslinux for my multi-boot Linux desktop computer and
never experienced an issue, apart from one exception, when having two
monitors attached, but only one monitor is turned on.

I don't use chain loading, the kernels of the different distros are all
on the same partition and this partition is either mounted with the bind
option or not mounted at all by the respectively booted Linux install
and for my daily used Arch Linux this partition is anyway the root
partition.

Regarding ISO live media etc. whatever bootloader they might use, the
first bootloader is GRUB2, when using my favoured Ventoy USB stick. I
only need to copy ISOs to the Ventoy USB stick and that's it, to get
e.g. a multi-boot live media USB stick. To enable the persistence
feature additional easy to do steps are required. For this purpose GRUB2
is probably the better solution.

Regards,
Ralf