[syslinux] UEFI bootable USB stick to allow PXE booting with USB ethernet adaptors?

Dan Jackson djackson at longroad.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 02:41:33 PDT 2023

Hello,

It's an Acer Swift SF114-31.

The existing PXE server that we are trying to boot from is Microsoft Configuration Manager (also known as SCCM or MECM). I tried putting the boot image itself on a USB stick manually but while I got the initial Configuration Manager wallpaper appearing, after a short period it just rebooted itself. It does appear that there may be a native ConfigMgr way to create a minimal USB stick without needing to include everything and the kitchen sink, so I'll be investigating that as well.

The USB ethernet adapters are Realtek based. I put together a USB stick with an EFI Shell, a copy of the Realtek USB UNDI EFI driver and a copy of iPXE and this combination was after some fiddling able to initialise the network adapter, however it's unsuccessful in booting from the PXE image. Hence why I was investigating whether Syslinux might be able to help in some way.

Thanks,
Dan Jackson (Network & Systems Engineer)
Long Road Sixth Form College
Cambridge, UK