[syslinux] Is chain loading EFI apps not supported?

marteg marteg71 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 00:50:50 PDT 2023

> For your needs, have you tried rEFInd maybe?
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

rEFInd will probably work, thank you! It is however sad that syslinux
won't work.

> Instead of / in parallel to PXElinux, I've been using iPXE for a
> while (after someone's suggestion in this mailing list, years ago).
> Not sure if iPXE could possibly be used on a hard drive :-)

That is an interesting idea, but seems more like a workaround than a
reliable solution, if at all possible :-)

> If dual-booting Windows and Linux off a hard drive is the final goal,
> I'm a bit afraid that Windows would keep "correcting" the "bootloader
> arrangement" to have the system boot Windows only.

It actually seems like Windows doesn't influence booting at all - I have
a single /efi partition with grub, syslinux and widows bootloader
currently on it, and they seem to coexist just fine. UEFI recognizes all
three and I'm able to control which one will be booted. UEFI names
different boot options by the disk they're installed on, and since all
three share a single SSD, it is rather hard to control booting from UEFI
:-)

Overall, thanks for the answer! I'll stick with rEFInd for now, and in
the meantime will try to fiddle with syslinux - maybe I'll be able to
chainload windows bootloader.

By the way - do you perhaps know of any additional documentation for the
EFI part of syslinux? Man pages and source code comments don't explain
much, it would be great if there was a blog post or an email thread
explaining the internals of syslinux's EFI handling in greater detail.

Sincerely,
Martynenko Egor