[syslinux] Running VMware ESXi network installer via syslinux/menu

Ralph Ronnquist rrq at rrq.au
Sun Jan 21 17:30:24 PST 2024

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:17:20PM +0100, Marki via Syslinux wrote:

> On 1/20/2024 1:29 AM, Ralph Ronnquist via Syslinux wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:21:37AM +0100, marki via Syslinux wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > So I'm running syslinux.efi
> > > Which loads menu.c32
> > > Which is supposed to start ESXi's bootx64.efi/mboot.efi
> > >
> > > But that gives
> > >
> > > """
> > > Invalid Boot signature 0x2, bailing out
> > > Booting kernel failed: Bad file number
> > > """
> > Which syslinux version?
> I use syslinux 6.03
> > What is the APPEND for mboot.efi ?
>
> Full statement is
>
> label testi
>
>   kernel mboot.efi
>
>   append -c /pxelinux.cfg/templates/esxi80/ESX8TEST.cfg
>
> But looking at the tftp logs it never tries to load anything related to
> ESX8TEST.cfg, I guess that's because it errors out before even looking at
> the append command

Ok; I think it's named "mboot.c32" also for EFI, and it needs to be
told which binary to load. Thus, it might work with the following
config:
label testi
    kernel mboot.c32
    append /biosboot/pxechn.c32 -c /pxelinux.cfg/templates/esxi80/ESX8TEST.cfg

You'll need to populate /biosboot/ with bios module pxechn.c32 and its
dependencies (ie. lib*), and I'd suppose this will only work if the
system does have support for legacy bios as well as uefi. I believe
the syslinux pxechn.c32 module is not compiled for uefi.

Ralph.