[syslinux] libcom32 license and linking

Jeff Kalikstein jeff at kalikstein.com
Fri Dec 3 13:20:15 PST 2004

Peter-

Can you please clarify the license of libcom32, from
the samples directory in syslinux?  I am attempting to
create .c32 files that are not encumbered by the GPL,
but the conio.c file states that is is covered by the
GPL.  So far, I have resisted linking with libcom32.a,
but is it really your intent to license the library
code under GPL, and not something more like the LGPL?

Additionally, the Makefile in the samples directory
also has a GPL header, suggesting that any derivative
code of any of your samples is encumbered by the GPL-
is that correct?

thanks,
jeff